iPhone 6S Battery Replacement

Sorry for getting this post out after the battery replacement cost increased to $79 on 1/1/2019.  Here is the short and sweet or dirty as you may see it.

My iPhone 6s has been having problems holding a charge.  Sometimes in the span of 3 hours without hardly using the dang thing the charge would drop from 95% to less than 50%.  I took it in twice to the Apple store who ran tests and looked at app use data and other technical stuff.  They told me the battery was fine, BUT, if I wanted to replace it they had a special going on to do the deed for $29.  So, I made an appointment on December 24th to have it done on December 28th.

When making the appointment you are counseled that they are going to lose all your data and apps and you will have to restore your phone.  So, I went through backing it up to iCloud though I didn't have my computer with me.  That means you can get your apps back but if you have a music and audiobook library of stuff you ripped yourself like I do, your music and audiobooks are not going to be there.

Since I live out in the boonies and was in San Francisco for a short window I decided that $29 was a worthwhile gamble to fix the problem. And, I figured I could deal without my music and audiobooks until I got home in a few days. So, how did it go?  I came home on the 1st and had the phone plugged into the car USB the whole way.  Here it is 1/3 and I am just now looking for my USB charger.

That's right, after a day and half of normal usage which is 10-20 text messages, 5-10 phone calls, taking 5 pics, looking at a little news and having the battery set on low power, I still have 48% of a charge left!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line is that the Apple Store battery tests are sort of useless information - at least in my case.  My phone said and the Apple store said, my old battery was 91% of normal.  To me, that was a total bullshit number.  If you are having battery problems like I described above and are not ready to get a new phone, pay the now $79 for a new battery.  Oh, and when I got my phone back after they installed the battery NOTHING had been lost.  I didn't have to restore a thing,

The only problem I had was something was saying I needed to sign in under my old Apple ID email which I had changed months ago.  I called Apple support and after a big rain dance of stuff they said I would need to delete ALL MY APPS and reinstall them - no other options existed they said (more BS).  Instead, I just opened each one up to see if one said I had to sign in and none did.  But, the annoying red number by settings went away and my iPhone 6s is a champ again. 

What was your experience?  Leave a comment below to help others out with this monumental decision. 

Links
Battery replacement program cuts into new phone sales:  Click here  Maybe this is why the store told me not need to replace - haha
Do It Yourself battery replacement:  Click here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of this, Best of that, Does anyone give a shit? (Best of 2017) (Worst of the Year?)

Religion, Science and Spirit